from: Sunshine Request <[email protected]>
to: [email protected]
date: Apr 10, 2019, 4:26 PM
subject: Records Request: Asheville Parks and Recreation Department, stadium info
Good Afternoon City of Asheville,
We’ve received a new request via www.sunshinerequest.com for information that may be available in your office.
Here are the details of the request:
Subject: Asheville Parks and Recreation Department, stadium info
“I would like to know the details of the business relationship between the Asheville Tourists and the City of Asheville.
1. My understanding is that the City of Asheville owns McCormick Field. I would like to know how much the Colorado Rockies pay to lease the stadium. Does that money go to the city, or into the Parks and Rec budget?
2. I would like to know how the City’s citizens benefit from the baseball team. Does revenue from ball games go to public use projects? If not, who does keep the revenue?
3. I would like to understand how the Tourist organization has rights to Memorial Coliseum and field for parking during games. I would like to know if the City is compensated for the use of the parking areas and public fields that are now unavailable to the Pick up soccer league, Asheville High School athletic teams, Empire Lacrosse, Edge lacrosse, and Asheville men’s lacrosse. I would like to know how those groups with long standing practices and games at Memorial were informed of the changes, and how they were accommodated at other public spaces.
4. Is Roderick Simmons of Parks and Recreation directed to enter into business arrangements which cut into the public use of public facilities, or do the directives for revenue making opportunities to usurp public use come from Council or from the City Manager’s office. Are there public input opportunities before changes are made to the typical uses of public facilities?
5. Roderick Simmons has also been involved in field and turf and track discussions at multiple schools throughout the Asheville City School District. These discussions have largely been out of the public eye. I would like details on Vance playground/men’s softball field arrangement, the Asheville Middle School girls softball field, and the possible future turf and track project at Asheville Middle School.
Thank you for your time.”
Editor’s Note: Sunshine Request makes no claim as to the veracity of any statements or information contained in any of the requests, or public records, we receive.
Thank you for your assistance.
Have a great afternoon!
Sent to Government