Other (indicate in message) Submitted: September 22, 2021 | Updated: July 13, 2022

Hi AB-Tech in Asheville, NC (Records Officer),

I'd like to make a multi-part public records request for the following information under NC Public Records Law.

A) Please provide a list of all salaries, job promotions, and any salary increases, provided to AB Tech's HR director. The requested information should include the specific time period of 05/01/21 through 07/31/21.

This request should also include the HR Director's starting salary as of 05/01/21, as well as their current salary (as of 07/31/21 (or the date the query is performed).

B) Please provide all emails sent between the HR director, President, and Trustees from May 01, 2021 through July 31, 2021, specifically related to discussion or topic of a promotion and announcement of promotion for the HR director.

C) Please provide a link to the latest institutional financials as disclosed in the institution's President's Annual Report publications. I believe that the last report posted on the institution's website dates to 2018-2019.

Editor’s Note 09/22/21: We apologize for the delay in processing and publishing this request on our site. Sunshine Request is a project built and run by a small team at PRC Applications. We run the site in addition to our primary business. While we will always do our best to process and follow up on requests as quickly as possible, there may be occasional delays, depending on our availability in a given week or month.

Thank you for using www.sunshinerequest.com!

Status: Clarification Requested

• July 13, 2022 5:15 pm

2 months ago

Editor’s Note to Sender 07/13/22: Patrick Conant is the Director of Sunshine Request. He has been following up with Kerri via a direct email he sent on 06/15/22 and 07/12/22. He is trying to determine how we can receive these (and all other) public records from A-B Tech.

As of this writing, he has not received a response from Kerri or A-B Tech.

At whatever point we receive a response or clarity on next steps, those updates will be posted on our site.

Thank you or using Sunshine Request!

• June 14, 2022 2:47 pm

3 months ago

from: Kerri Glover <[email protected]>
    to: Sunshine Request <[email protected]>
    cc: “John D. Gossett” <[email protected]>,
    “Carolyn H. Rice” <[email protected]>
    date: Jun 14, 2022, 2:47 PM
    subject: Re: Records Request: (September 2021) Request for A-B Tech Promotion info 05/01/21 – 07/31/21, and, for institutional financials as of Present Day

We have responded on the advice of our legal counsel. The email addresses you cc’d do not exist.

Status: Response Received from Government
  • June 14, 2022 2:41 pm

3 months ago

to: Kerri Glover <[email protected]>, [email protected], [email protected]
    cc: “John D. Gossett” <[email protected]>, “Carolyn H. Rice” <[email protected]>
    date: Jun 14, 2022, 2:41 PM

** Edit: I will not be coming in person to your office to “pick up” or “inspect” the requested records, and it is not required under the law.

Status: Clarification Requested
  • June 14, 2022 12:17 pm

3 months ago

to: Kerri Glover <[email protected]>, [email protected], [email protected]
    date: Jun 14, 2022, 12:17 PM

Hi Kerri (and all CCed),

Your recent response neither answers nor acknowledges my previous questions or emails since May 17.

Once again — Please provide the last date that either Kerri or Staff followed up with A-B Tech Legal about the status of my public records request (submitted to your offices on September 22, 2021). Under NC Records Law, I am asking that you please provide a status update, timeline for completion, and clear explanation for the reason for the long delay in fulfillment.

The only updates I’ve received to date are as follows:

– September 28, 2021: “We have referred the request to our attorneys for guidance.”

– May 12, 2022: “We have not yet been advised by our attorneys on if or how to respond to the personnel request.”

A-B Tech is required to process all valid public records requests under NC Public Records Law, and these responses indicate that A-B Tech Legal or Staff may be intentionally delaying fulfillment of the request by allowing it to “sit” until they have availability or feel like addressing.

——————

To your note about emailing records… if the files are stored / maintained and exist in an electronic format / medium, you are required to provide it to me electronically, which is what I’ve requested:

” § 132-6.2. (a) Persons requesting copies of public records may elect to obtain them in any and all media in which the public agency is capable of providing them. No request for copies of public records in a particular medium shall be denied on the grounds that the custodian has made or prefers to make the public records available in another medium. The public agency may assess different fees for different media as prescribed by law.”

” § 132-6.2. (e) Nothing in this section shall be construed to require a public agency to respond to a request for a copy of a public record by creating or compiling a record that does not exist. If a public agency, as a service to the requester, voluntarily elects to create or compile a record, it may negotiate a reasonable charge for the service with the requester. Nothing in this section shall be construed to require a public agency to put into electronic medium a record that is not kept in electronic medium. (1995, c. 388, s. 3; 2004-129, s. 38.)”

Feel free to email the files, send a flash drive, google drive link, etc. I will not be coming in person to your office to “pick up” or “inspect” this contract, and it is not required under the law.

If there will be any further delay and/or you are unwilling to provide this electronic record as required under the law, then kindly let me know you are denying the request, and have legal provide a clear explanation and cite the specific exemption under the law. I will determine how I would like to proceed from there.

Thank you.

~ The Sunshine Request Team

Status: Clarification Requested
  • June 14, 2022 11:48 am

3 months ago

from: Kerri Glover <[email protected]>
    to: Sunshine Request <[email protected]>
    cc: “John D. Gossett” <[email protected]>
    date: Jun 14, 2022, 11:48 AM

The College is pleased to provide public records upon request. However, be advised that the Public Records Law does not include an obligation to deliver public records by email. All persons or entities requesting public records are welcome to inspect and request copies (including available digital formats) of records at the College during normal business hours.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have questions or need anything further.

Kerri Glover
    Executive Director

Community Relations & Marketing
    A-B Tech Community College
    340 Victoria Road
    Office: 828-398-7117

Cell: 828-772-6320
    [email protected]

Status: Response Received from Government
  • June 7, 2022 4:13 pm

3 months ago

to: Kerri Glover <[email protected]>, [email protected], [email protected]
    cc: “Carolyn H. Rice” <[email protected]>, “John D. Gossett” <[email protected]>
    date: Jun 7, 2022, 4:13 PM

Hi Kerri (Christopher, and all CCed),

I’m following up again on my email from May 17. I have not received a response.

Please provide the date that Kerri or Staff last followed up with A-B Tech Attorneys about the status of my public records request (submitted to your offices on September 22, 2021). Additionally – Kerri and / or Legal Staff should please provide a status update, timeline for completion, and explanation for the delay.

The only updates I’ve received to date are as follows:

A-B Tech is required to process all valid public records requests under NC Public Records Law. These responses indicate that A-B Tech Attorneys or Staff may be intentionally delaying fulfillment of the request by allowing it to “sit” until Staff has availability or feels like addressing.

Furthermore – I want to express my concern regarding management of this public records request, as I worry you are not processing public records requests in compliance with the Law.

With this in mind, I want to highlight the court case referenced in item #6 of the following article, posted on the NC Press Association website. In this instance: “The trial court held that an unjustified one-month delay in production of records was tantamount to a denial”.

I respectfully ask again that legal staff take immediate action to resolve this issue and ensure that ALL public records requests are being fulfilled by AB-Tech as required under NC Public Records Law. I will continue to submit public records requests to A-B Tech in the future, and I would like assurance that I will receive a response and that requests are being processed by your offices in accordance with the law.

~ The Sunshine Request Team

• May 31, 2022 1:26 pm

4 months ago

to: Kerri Glover <[email protected]>
    cc: “Carolyn H. Rice” <[email protected]>,
    “John D. Gossett” <[email protected]>,
    [email protected],
    [email protected]
    date: May 31, 2022, 1:26 PM

Hi Kerri (and all CCed),

Following up on my email from May 17. I have not received a reply. Copied below:

——-

Thank you for your reply.

Please provide the date you last followed up with your Attorneys about the status of the request. Additionally – please CC them on my email and/or contact them to request a status update on my September request. They should include an explanation for the delay in fulfillment. I’m also asking that you provide a copy of A-B Tech’s own Public Records Policy.

If you are unwilling to do this, then please provide me with the email contact for A-B Tech’s Legal Staff, and I will reach out to them directly.

The only updates I have received to date:

These responses indicate that A-B Tech Attorneys or Staff may be intentionally delaying fulfillment of the request by allowing it to “sit” until staff has availability or feels like addressing. A-B Tech is required to process all valid public records requests under NC Public Records Law.

I also want to express my concern regarding management of this public records request. If Staff have been directed to delay processing requests until they are available or feel like fulfilling them, then I worry you are not processing public records requests in compliance with the Law.

I respectfully ask that legal staff take immediate action to resolve this issue and ensure that ALL public records requests are being fulfilled by A-B Tech as required under NC Public Records Law.

Please provide an estimated timeline for completion. I’ll plan to follow up again in a week if I have not heard back.

– The Sunshine Request Team

• May 17, 2022 5:30 pm

4 months ago

to: Kerri Glover <[email protected]>
    cc: “Carolyn H. Rice” <[email protected]>,
    “John D. Gossett” <[email protected]>
    date: May 17, 2022, 5:30 PM

Hi Kerri,

Thank you for your reply.

——-

The only updates I have received to date:

– The Sunshine Request Team

Status: Clarification Requested
  • May 17, 2022 4:27 pm

4 months ago

from: Kerri Glover <[email protected]>
    to: Sunshine Request <[email protected]>
    cc: “Carolyn H. Rice” <[email protected]>,
    “John D. Gossett” <[email protected]>
    date: May 17, 2022, 4:27 PM

We also advised that the other part of the request was a personnel matter that might be protected and was sent to our attorney.

Kerri Glover

4 months ago

to: Kerri Glover <[email protected]>
    cc: “Carolyn H. Rice” <[email protected]>,
    “John D. Gossett” <[email protected]>
    date: May 17, 2022, 3:30 PM

Hi Kerri (Carolyn and John CCed),

Thank you for your reply regarding my request: (September 2021) Request for A-B Tech Promotion info 05/01/21 – 07/31/21, and, for institutional financials as of Present Day .

I sent the request to Kerri on Sep 22, 2021. On Sep 28, 2021 Kerri advised “… We have referred the request to our attorneys for guidance.”  I followed up with Kerri to ask for a status update again in October, December, January, February, and March.

Regarding Kerri’s May 12, 2022 comment:

“We have not yet been advised by our attorneys on if or how to respond to the personnel request. We did provide a link to the most recent annual report.”

Part C) of my request called for “… a link to the latest institutional financials as disclosed in the institution’s President’s Annual Report publications. I believe that the last report posted on the institution’s website dates to 2018-2019.”   To date I have not received any communication (either in this email thread, or in my spam folder) that shows you’ve ever sent me any responsive records related to my September 2021 request.

Additionally – State Law requires you to fulfill records requests “as promptly as possible”. It has been 7.5 months since the last update I received in September. Can you please tell me when you last followed up with your Attorneys about the status of the request? Please ask the Attorney’s to provide an explanation for the delay in fulfillment as well as denial (if that applies), and where there is specific legal justification under NC Public Records Law.

Additionally – Please provide a copy of A-B Tech’s Public Records Request Policy.

– The Sunshine Request Team

• March 4, 2022 12:44 pm

6 months ago

to: Kerri Glover <[email protected]>
    cc: “Carolyn H. Rice” <[email protected]>
    date: Mar 4, 2022, 12:44 PM

Good afternoon Kerri,

Following up a fourth time on this request from back in September of last year to see if there was any update to report: (September 2021) Request for A-B Tech Promotion info 05/01/21 – 07/31/21, and, for institutional financials as of Present Day

We’re aware that on 9/28 of last year you said: “We have referred the request to our attorneys for guidance.”

I am going to go ahead and mark this request as denied on our site, but if you wish to reply in the future I will go ahead and reopen this request at that point.

Status: Government Denied Request
  • February 3, 2022 12:00 pm

7 months ago

to: Kerri Glover <[email protected]>
    cc: “Carolyn H. Rice” <[email protected]>
    date: Feb 3, 2022, 12:00 PM

Good afternoon Kerri,

Following up a third time on this request from back in September of last year to see if there was any update to report: (September 2021) Request for A-B Tech Promotion info 05/01/21 – 07/31/21, and, for institutional financials as of Present Day

I will plan on making one more follow up attempt at the end of the month if I haven’t heard back by then.

• January 14, 2022 3:52 pm

8 months ago

to: Kerri Glover <[email protected]>
    date: Jan 14, 2022, 3:52 PM

Good afternoon Kerri,

Following up again on this request from back in September of last year to see if there was any update to report: (September 2021) Request for A-B Tech Promotion info 05/01/21 – 07/31/21, and, for institutional financials as of Present Day

We’re aware that on 9/28 you said: “We have referred the request to our attorneys for guidance.”

I will plan on following up again at the end of the month if I haven’t heard back by then.

• December 1, 2021 4:35 pm

10 months ago

to: Kerri Glover <[email protected]>
    date: Dec 1, 2021, 4:35 PM

Good afternoon Kerri,

Following up on this request from back in September to see if there was any update to report: (September 2021) Request for A-B Tech Promotion info 05/01/21 – 07/31/21, and, for institutional financials as of Present Day

• October 14, 2021 1:47 pm

11 months ago

to: Kerri Glover <[email protected]>
    date: Oct 14, 2021, 1:47 PM

Good afternoon Kerri,

Thank you for the update and I’ll follow up again in mid-November if I haven’t heard anything.

Appreciate your assistance!

Status: Government Processing Request
  • September 28, 2021 1:26 pm

1 year ago

from: Kerri Glover <[email protected]>
    to: Sunshine Request <[email protected]>
    date: Sep 28, 2021, 1:26 PM

Hello! We have referred the request to our attorneys for guidance.

Thanks,
    Kerri

Kerri Glover
    Executive Director
    Community Relations and Marketing
    A-B Tech Community College
    340 Victoria Road
    Tel: 828.398.7117
    Cell: 828.772.6320

Status: Government Processing Request
  • September 22, 2021 2:12 pm

1 year ago

to: Kerri Glover <[email protected]>
    date: Sep 22, 2021, 2:12 PM
    subject: Records Request: (September 2021) Request for A-B Tech Promotion info 05/01/21 – 07/31/21, and, for institutional financials as of Present Day

Good afternoon Kerri,

I’d like to make a public records request for information that may be available in your office. Please let me know if you are not the appropriate contact to get this request handled, and who I should instead email this to if so.

Please confirm receipt to let me know the request will begin processing, and if possible, please provide a rough estimate of when the request may be completed. I will plan on following up again in early October if I have not heard back before then.

Subject: (September 2021) Request for A-B Tech Promotion info 05/01/21 – 07/31/21, and, for institutional financials as of Present Day

Message: “Hi AB-Tech in Asheville, NC (Records Officer),

I’d like to make a multi-part public records request for the following information under NC Public Records Law.

A) Please provide a list of all salaries, job promotions, and any salary increases, provided to AB Tech’s HR director. The requested information should include the specific time period of 05/01/21 through 07/31/21.

This request should also include the HR Director’s starting salary as of 05/01/21, as well as their current salary (as of 07/31/21 (or the date the query is performed).

C) Please provide a link to the latest institutional financials as disclosed in the institution’s President’s Annual Report publications. I believe that the last report posted on the institution’s website dates to 2018-2019.

** Sunshine Request makes no claim as to the veracity of any statements or information contained in any of the requests, or public records, we receive.

• September 22, 2021 11:31 am